Check Out the NHS Website!4 months ago
Did you know that we have a website? It has a dashboard of announcements and deadlines, information about NHS as a whole, a list of Q&As, and a work-in-progress collection of service opportunities. A huge thanks to Shreya Singh, Vikram Bala, Esha Karlekar, Isabel Wang, and all of the other volunteers who helped out in its creation.
Check it out at https://activities.tjhsst.edu/nhs/
Also, don't forget to turn your hours in! You have until June 11 (only 5 days from now), and there will be no exceptions.
New Officers!5 months ago
Hey NHS! We are happy to announce our new NHS Officers for the 2021-2022 school year. This race was incredibly close, and everyone was extremely qualified for the position they ran for. We hope everyone will continue being service leaders in your community!
Without further ado, here are your 2021-2022 NHS officers:
President: AJ Seo
Vice President: Liam Reaser
Secretary-Treasurer: Yoo-Bin Kwon
Service Chair: Michelle Ru
Communications Chair: Alice Ji
Technology Chair: Jason Klein
Thank you to everyone who ran and voted, we look forward to another amazing year of service with you!
Furthermore, the results of our new NHS bylaws are out and we will officially adopt the new bylaws starting the coming fall, with 97.2% of members in favor.
NHS Officers 20-21
Reminder to Vote for NHS Elections and Bylaws5 months ago
Hello all NHS members,
Elections for next year’s NHS officers are underway, so make sure you fill out the election form to vote on not only the candidates, but also the new proposed bylaws. The full proposed bylaw document is in the google form linked below, but here are some of the main changes the bylaws propose:
- Changes the twelve-hours of service per semester requirement to six hours per semester, but keeping the twenty-four hours annual requirement for membership (allowing for more flexibility on getting hours)
- Halving the dues fee from $20 to $10
- Implementing a ranked choice voting system for elected officer positions starting next year’s election cycle
- Give members a grace period to get back into good standing if they fail to meet the service requirement
- Allows members to bypass officers my petition/referendum to seek an amendment for the bylaws
You are welcome to read the entire bylaws in detail through the document in the form, and message any of the officers/email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This form is due on noon May 26th, and we will be announcing results shortly after. Make sure to include your school email in the form so we can ensure accuracy in our results.
Please let us know if you have any other questions,
Vote for NHS elections and bylaws!5 months ago
Hi everyone, hope you all are having a lovely week of APs/AP prep/finals prep!
As you may know, elections for NHS officers are ongoing, and you should vote! Also included in this election season will be a new proposed constitution/bylaws. The full document will be on an actual Google Form, but this is a TLDR if you're interested in some new reforms. The main changes bring the constitution/bylaws in line with the way things are actively being run right now. That's everything from recognizing Secretary-Treasurer as one specific position to mentioning how our faculty council runs. In terms of actual changes to how the NHS currently operates, there are a few big ones:
- Changes the twelve hours per semester requirement to six hours per semester. The twenty-four hour annual requirement is still in place, so this just means you have more flexibility in how you divide hours between the semesters (i.e. you can frontload 18 hours first semester, do more of your hours second semester if you are a senior with lots of apps, etc.)
- Halves dues, from $20 to $10
- Brings our constitution in line with the revised version of the national NHS constitution (this includes a lot of stuff, so we’ll announce any major changes as they become relevant)
- Implements ranked choice voting for elected officer positions (this also has the effect of giving people a more direct choice of their Vice President)
This will not take effect until next year’s election cycle
- Gives members time to get back in good standing if they fail to meet the service requirement
- Allows members to bypass officers by petition/referendum to seek an amendment to our constitution/bylaws
Even though this is a bunch of bureaucracy, I hope some of these changes make things a bit more flexible for us and just make everything run smoother. Please message me or another officer if you have any questions. Thanks for reading through!
Book Sorting Volunteer Form5 months ago
Hey NHS members!
We collected over 300 books for the Weyanoke Book Drive, making this service project a success! Thank you so much to everyone who donated ❤❤
The books now need to be sorted into elementary / middle / high school levels. Elementary and middle school level books will be donated to Weyanoke Elementary School. I was able to sort through some but realized that it would take a while to do alone 😅😅. You can get 40 minutes of service hours if you participate -- it's not much, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
The book sorting session will take place during 8B this Wednesday, May 12th. This is limited to in-person students only. Ms. Gillevet is currently getting an 8th period signup ready on Ion, so I'll let you know when it's up. Please fill out this form if you are interested.
Hope you had a great Mother's Day :))
NHS Book Drive!6 months ago
tldr: NHS is holding a book drive 📚📚 and it ends this week!
Looking for ways to get hours before the next deadline? ⏰⏰
TJ NHS is holding a book drive until April 30th! Each donated book will give you 15 minutes of service hours, and there is a limit of 3 hours that you can earn (meaning that you'll get credit for your first 12 books only, even though you can donate more :)) )
In-person students: Please drop off your books in the box located in the Cafeteria.
Virtual students: Please drop off your books at the Dome on Thursday, 4/29 from 4:00-7:00.
Please make sure to donate books in good, "nearly new" condition and make sure that there is no writing in them. Books will be going to Weyanoke Elementary School and the Kids Need to Read organization.
Fill out this form https://forms.gle/MemtgvaWbUbzm5296 if you're donating (you only need to fill it out once) and make sure to submit your hours in Google Classroom. Thank you so much for contributing ️❤❤
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com or message one of the officers!