tjSTAR hosts a variety of scientific professionals and prominent members of society. The first annual event included presentations by the U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, as well as representatives from Lockheed Martin, NASA, Sun Microsystems, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Army. However, tjSTAR is not limited to only specific scientific innovations. Last year’s participants included speakers and panelists who spoke about cancer research, cyber security, global warming, national defense, patenting inventions, science-related public policy, and women in science.
Previous demonstrations, panels and discussions involved participants from:
- American Chemistry Society
- George Mason University
- National Academy of Engineering
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- Northrop Grumman
Previous keynote speakers have included:
- the U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
- D.C. restaurateur Chef José Andrés
- Former Microsoft’s Partners in Learning overseer Siegfried Behrens
- Dr. Subra Suresh, Director of the National Science Foundation
- Richard St. John
For interested speakers and external guests: The presence of speakers, panelists, demonstration representatives and outside guests is a vital part of tjSTAR. Unfortunately, TJHSST is not able to reimburse travel expenses. We hope that this will not deter your interest to educate, inspire and interact with gifted students about careers and learning opportunities in STEM fields.